By Dom Nozzi
Many ramps from a street to a sidewalk or parking lot have a jarring, potentially dangerous squared lip that for bicycling safety – particularly for novice cyclists and inattentive cyclists — need to be grinded to a smooth ramp.
Here is an inventory of sidewalk and driveway ramps that seem to have this dangerous state of affairs in the Boulder, Colorado town center as of May 2013.
I tried to ignore such lips for ramps that would be rarely used by bicyclists (and sometimes wheelchairs). This list therefore includes only ramps that I believe would be relatively frequently used by bicyclists. I also tried to ignore sidewalk ramps with such lips if the street had a bike lane (since nearly all bicyclists on such streets would be avoiding the sidewalks anyway).
- 19th Street at September School: Path to the west of school
- 1940 Walnut Place: Both driveways
- 2155 Walnut: Driveway on north side of street
- 1850 Horizon West
- Alley ramp on west side of Folsom just south of Chamber of Commerce
- Ramp for Folsom Village on west side of Folsom at 1645 Folsom
- Sidewalk ramps on west side of Folsom/Arapahoe intersection (both southwest & northwest corners)
- Driveway ramp at Alfalfa’s just west of Broadway (1100-block)
- Driveway ramp across street from Alfalfa’s ramp (New Britain Bldg at 1101 Arapahoe)
- Sidewalk/path ramps at Grove Street and 23rd Street
- Sidewalk/path ramps at Grove Circle and 21st Street
- Ramp needed at south side of pocket park near 18th Street and Grove Street
- 620 Pearl Street driveway
- Driveway ramp at 2201 Pearl Street
- Driveway ramp on north side of Spruce for 2705 Spruce, and the other ramps from that location east to 28th Street
- North side driveway ramp for Pine Street Church just east of Broadway
- Pine Street parking lot ramp on south side at 1320 Pine Street
- Driveway ramp on north side of Portland Place serving the Medical Pavilion just west of Broadway
- All driveway ramps on both sides of Portland Place
- Ideal Market: Driveway on north side of street. Eastern ramp, not western ramp.
- All driveway ramps on both sides of Alpine between 9th Street and Broadway
- Driveway ramp on south side of Balsam for Urgent Care just east of Broadway
- Driveway ramp on south side of Balsam at 10th Street (ramp for Boulder Community Hospital ER)
- Alley ramp on west side of 9th Street just south of Alpine
- Alley ramps on both sides of 11th, just north of Canyon Blvd
- Parking garage just south of Alpine: Driveway.
- Sidewalk ramps on west side of 28th Street at Buffalo Village (1625-1661). Ramps for sidewalks at both driveways.
- Sidewalk ramps (both sides) on west side of 28th at 1729 28th Street